Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The beauty of angkukueh

If I had a second chance, I would want to be a angkukueh seller.

Don't ask me why. I just want to be one.
Angku kueh is a local delicacy from China. I don't know pretty much about it's history, but I do am aware that it was already there at the time that I was born, or better, when I was a kid.
Inspection
It is actually bloody red in colour superficially. The texture of the outer layer smooth although there is a marked tortoise shell appearance. It rests on a square tailored ?pandan leaf.
Palpation
It is soft and indentable. Non-reducible or fluctuating though. The surface is greasy and slightly sticky.
Special test *bites* *crunches* *swallows*
It is sweet and tangy, with yolk-yellow fillings inside it. Gets slimy after a few munches and sticks in your teeth crevices.
So, where can you actually get one? Some idiots would actually believe me when I say you can get it in Pasar Seni. Well, ninny, you are wrong. It is usually sold in morning markets or even night markets. Usually, you can get 'em at RM1.00 for 3 (or 4?) and it is of abundance especially at nights before an auspicious day. (Mr Kiasu's selling them for S$0.70 for each! that's filty slaughter!)
Well, nobody likes to nibble on an angku kueh liao; they would prefer a hamburger or a Dunkin donut. Sigh...
~"has thou past thy gloriest days?", laments the peddler, who weeps over his left over angku kuehs...~
Well, if you're interested in the recipe... here's the link for it!

No comments: