There are a few elements that I really need to contemplate on before I make a decision, and these are what that complicate my decision-making process. I've got to find somewhere ENJOYABLE, ASSESSIBLE and most of all, AFFORDABLE.
ENJOYABLE vs BENEFICIAL. First and utmost, it is crucial that I do learn something during my elective studies, instead of toying and fooling through the whole late spring. Plus, I would feel fuckingly guilty to throw money away without learning anything.
ADVENTURABLE vs ASSESIBLE. To fulfil my utmost lust of adventure, I have to pick somewhere, well, extraordinary (or simply not much ppl would have gone too), or I would never get content. There are plenty of exotic places for me to go, of course, but the question is are they easily assesible? Well, this elective thingee isn't suppose to be an Indiana Jones sorta thingee.
AFFORDABLE vs ASTRONOMICAL. The vital factor. Nobody can survive without the Vitamin M. So, as long as it's within my budget, it's within my reach.
And the nominees for my electives are... *drum rolls*
Osaka, Japan
Yes I've been to Japan years before and hell, I'm dying to go back there again! The food, the people and the cute japs are simply irrestible! Well, Japan doesn't really fulfil all the 3 criteria that I've listed above except assessibility, but since my varsity has a MOU with Osaka University, so we'll get free accomodation and are exempted from paying tuition fees. Nice, isn't it? The sad thing is that the seats are limited and there are 7 other monkeys fighting for it. I wonder why. Their Jap is even more pathetic than mine, and that's a major disadvantage in learning anything there. Sigh. The only drawback me choosing Japan is whether I would learn anything much there, since it ain't easy communicating with the sick patients, and most of all, they employ sophistication in making diagnosis. In other words, they depend too much on imaging, instead of clinical skills. What's the purpose learning all those gadgets when there ain't one in Malaysia? Vellore, India
Ok, Southern India. A bunch of colleagues who are kinda zealous in their religion invited me to join their electives in a missionary hospital in Southern India. Well, it does fulfil all the criteria, but the only thing that turns me off is if I really were to go there, I would be the single non-Christian guy there. ARE YOU NUTS? That is totaly despicable! I would be at their mercy! I would be obliged to join them in their gospel sorta thing and worshipping stuffs. Not that I am such an anti-Christ, but this stuffs turn me off. Being an odd-man-out isn't my cuppa tea, and I always avoid being in that kind of hot water. Too bad. I would be able to learn plenty of stuffs there and plus, it is still affordable and easily assessible as MAS AIRLINES do fly there at least once in a week. :)
Taiwan
Mom suggested me going there but I still feel a little awkward. Yes Chih-Tzu Hospital is run by a Buddhist Organization, yet I find their sect's teachings a little bit discomforting. Plus, there are some people that I do not really favor opting to go there as well. Just in case, I don't wanna go there fighting anyway. :p No doubt Chih-Tzu Hospital is a wonderful place to try out, as I've heard numerous compliments bout learning in that hospital. Still, I don't think Taiwan would satisfy me. Probably I'm just biased.Singapore
Sorry to be mean, but I never like Singapore, and most of all, Singaporeans. :p
Kathmandu, Nepal
Nepal sounds fabulous and it fulfills all the 3 criteria. But the problem is, it's still kinda politically unstable. I don't wanna end up being kidnapped or get killed there. Haha. Still, it's a good choice. I've always wanted to go there. Well, I've read some other elective reports from other foreign students that the situation isn't as bad as what the media had reported. It's always worth a try. :)
Kumasi, Ghana
Sigh, this is where my heart lounges. I've always wanted to go to AFRICA!!! Sigh, the travelling expenses is fucking expensive since there's no decent airlines going into Ghana. So, I guess Ghana's just another dream.

1 comment:
Go, go Nepal. I would if I could, anytime...
Politically speaking they're okay now, if anything you just have to sit at home and stock up on food during the curfew. They won't harm foreigners (tourists) because we are their economy!
Kor
Post a Comment